Utilizing a storage unit for your belongings is a great way to keep away things that you have no room for in your home, but still want to keep in your possession. The only problem with storing your belongings away is that you won't be around to be sure that these items stay in good condition. Keeping things in storage can take a toll on your belongings if they are not protected in the right way. Here are five tips to consider to ensure that your belongings stay safe and sound while in storage:
- Use Moving Boxes: Instead of packing your smaller items in any kind of box, consider purchasing moving boxes, or, better yet, large plastic storage boxes. These are designed to hold up against the elements, which means that your belongings won't easily become wet if water happens to get into your storage unit and they won't build moisture, which can also damage delicate belongings and even grow mold.
- Use Machine Oil for Metal Items: Before storing anything that is metal, wipe it down with machine oil. This is going to lubricate it enough to prevent rust, which is the best way to keep metal materials in good condition while being stored away. Otherwise, the elements, such as leaked water or moisture build up will easily rust and eat away at the metal.
- Cover Upholstery: When you store away upholstered furniture, you need to be sure that you cover it with dust covers. Otherwise, you will end up with ruined upholstery, especially the longer you leave it in storage. Dust will gather anywhere and if the furniture isn't being used that dust will continue to gather and eat away at the material causing it to become discolored.
- Use Airtight Storage for Music and Movies: Any DVDs, CDs, records, and other items similar to this need to be stored in airtight containers. Otherwise, these items can become warped if they are left exposed to the changing temperatures in your storage unit.
- Consider a Climate Controlled Unit: Paying a bit extra for a climate controlled storage unit may be well worth it in the end if you are going to be storing items that can easily become damaged in changing weather conditions. You should still take extra precautions to cover and pack your belongings accordingly. However, the chances of damage is going to be much less.
When you utilize these five tips, you can be sure that you are getting the most use out of your storage unit. For more information, contact a company like National Self Storage - Denver to learn more.